Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Recipe Swap

I have been so sick of all my usual stuff I cook that I have really been trying out different recipes. I have gotten new ideas from friends, blogs and old recipe books so I thought I would share some of the hits!

This one I am so glad I tried! jason doesn't like chicken all that much, well he does but not his favorite and I am so sick of my usual things I did with chicken. I tried this one night and he loved it, even bragged to his buddies on the golf course AND called me to ask me to make it! that is huge! Plus it only takes like 30 minutes so that is a plus!

Chicken Ole
3-4 chicken breast cut up
2 tablespoons of olive oil
small can of Mexicorn
small can of black olives
half of small onion or a whole onion (we have to watch the onion intake so I never use a whole onion like recipes say!)
1 can of Rotel (I always use mild)
cumin to taste
Mushrooms cut up (however much you like...I usually use about 4 whole mushrooms cut up)
Flour tortillas
shredded cheese

in skillet brown chicken in olive oil until most pink is gone. Add onions and mushrooms and saute. Then add corn, olives, rotel and cumin to taste. Cover for 20 minutes and simmer. When ready to serve, add cheese to taste. We like a lot of cheese! Brown tortillas in a skillet. Spoon mixture into tortillas and enjoy! You also can serve this over rice.

Today on Foodnetwork (my fav channel) I was watching cooking for real. She made some no meat quesdillas that I said that might make a great lunch and oh it did! Easy too! I did not do it exactly how she did but they were so good!

Really use any veggie mixture you like but this is what I did

1/2 small onion
4-5 mushrooms cut up
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of salsa
black olives
tortillas
cheese
refried beans

saute veggies in olive oil (she used corn instead of mushrooms and redpeppers but I am a mushroom gal!) Add salsa to mix and set aside. Take tortilla and spread refried beans on it. Place in a pan with the bean side up. Add cheese and black olives on top of the refried beans. Then top with the veggies. Take another tortilla spread refried beans on and place on top of the other tortilla and veggies bean side down. cook for a minute or two until the tortilla is brown and flip. Brown that side as well. Then eat! She also made a sourcream dipping sauce but I did not make that. It made a great lunch!

I have more to share but I need to run!

No comments: